Unallocated space refers to free disk space on the formatted or unformatted hard disk. Depending upon the disk type, you can create partitions (fixed or dynamic) on the unallocated space. Unallocated space is also created in the Windows partition drive after deletion of some files. MS Windows operating system make use of NTFS and FAT technologies for creating partitions on the computer drive.
Large hard disk is usually partitioned with NTFS file system of MS Windows. The NTFS or FAT partition will show unallocated space in the different situations like:
- You have deleted some files and folders from a partition
- Some data has been moved into another partition or logical drive
- Computer hard disk is physically damaged
- You have reformatted your system drive
- Windows disk partition has got infected with virus or spyware
Manual procedure to perform partition data recovery
If you have deleted some files and folders from your NTFS partition, then there is always a possibility of restoring the data from Windows Recycle Bin folder. There are occasions when some data of a partition table becomes inaccessible after virus corruption and therefore you may require using a proficient antivirus program to restore lost data.
The most appropriate option to recover deleted partition data is backup file. You must create backup folder using Windows NTBackup Exec to store entire data of your system. Windows backup file will help you in the events like –
Deletion of files and folders from Windows Recycle Bin
Loss of partition after disk formatting
Bad Sectors in the hard disk
You can restore NTFS or FAT partition data from Windows backup in following step:
- Click on Start>Run
- In command box, type NTbackup.exe and press OK
- Click on Next in the Backup or Restore Wizard
- Select “Restore File and Settings” and press Next
- Click on Browse to select the backup file from specific drive location
- Double click on the selected bak file and press next
- Click on Advanced tab and choose appropriate location for the files to be restored
- Specify “Leave existing files(recommended) and click on Finish
If your Windows backup folder is also lost due to corruption or accidental deletion, you have to choose a professional NTFS file recovery tool to recover lost data.
Proficient data recovery tool
By using a proficient NTFS file recovery tool you could successfully recover lost Windows partition data. Such application allows you to recover partition data even after the loss or damage of the Master Boot records. NTFS file recovery utility can recover files and folders that are emptied from Windows Recycle Bin folder. Many NTFS file recovery tools available in the market supports all categories of computer hard disk. Before purchasing an appropriate tool, it is always better to assess key features of NTFS file recovery tool.
Windows partition starts showing unallocated disk space when some data is removed or moved or missing. You can recover lost files and folders from a Windows Backup file. However, if backup folder is damaged or not available, you can choose a professional tool to restore original data. NTFS file recovery can recover data even after loss of MBR or disk partition.